Cosmetic Dentistry Solutions For Your Teeth
Cosmetic dentistry is the art of repairing damaged, missing, or misshapen teeth to correct defects and restore full function and appearance. Depending on the procedure, cosmetic dentistry can be a long lasting or permanent solution for your teeth. Some of the more common cosmetic dentistry procedures include the following:
- Dental Implant - A dental implant is artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. A dental implant root is a permanent restoration.
- Veneers - Dental veneers are thin, porcelain shells bonded to teeth to cover chips, stains or gaps. Veneers can protect the teeth they cover and improve the aesthetics of damaged teeth. Veneers can last from 5 to 15 years depending on good aftercare.
- Dental Bonding - Dental bonding is the application of a plastic resin to repair a chipped, fractured, decayed or discolored tooth. The procedure is an inexpensive, cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings. Dental bonding can last from 7 to 11 years.
- Tooth Contouring - Teeth are altered by grinding and filing to reshape and reposition them to correct small imperfections such as crooked, chipped and damaged teeth. Tooth contouring is a permanent procedure.
- Crowns and Caps - Dental crowns and caps are fitted over a fragile or restored tooth to improve the size, shape, strength or appearance. Crowns and caps are most often used on back teeth and can last from 10 to 15 years.
- Dentures - Partial and complete dentures are created as replacements for missing teeth and gums. Dentures are removable restorations that can last 5 to 10 years with good care and cleaning.
- Inlays and Onlays - Inlays and onlays are gold, plastic resin, or ceramic fillings or caps that are added to a damaged tooth to restore its shape. Inlays fill a hole inside of a tooth while onlays sit on top of a tooth to build up its shape. Inlays and onlays can last around 20 years with good aftercare.
- Braces - Metal wires or plastic molds are used to gradually move teeth to straighten and correct crooked or misaligned teeth. Braces can also correct an underbite or overbite. Corrections from braces can be permanent depending on good aftercare.
- Teeth Whitening - Professional teeth whitening is the most effective solution to stained or discolored teeth. Teeth are bleached and polished about 8 shades lighter to brighten teeth and give a healthier- looking smile. Whitening can last from 6 months to 2 years depending on good aftercare.
Cosmetic dentistry is an ongoing science that changes as new materials and procedures are discovered and perfected. This means that more cosmetic dentistry restorations are becoming easier, less expensive, and permanent solutions for your teeth. Check with an orthodontist (such as one from Larsen-Haslem Dental) for a personalized treatment for your smile.